— Only days after discussing on TODAY how she has received numerous death threats in the last three years, octuplet mom Nadya Suleman claimed she received another frightening one this past weekend.
“When we read it, I was so terrified I threw it out and had to retrieve it from the trash,’’ she told Carl Quintanilla on TODAY Wednesday. “I really wanted to protect my kids from it. I didn’t want them to see it.’’
‘They started again’
On Saturday night, Suleman’s father called police in La Habra, Calif., to investigate damage to her van parked in the driveway, including a smashed window. On Tuesday, detectives had a follow-up meeting with Suleman, 36, after they received questions from the media about a threat on her life. Suleman said her daughter found a note inside her car that read: “Leave California or you will die.’’
However, when detectives asked for the note to use as evidence, she told them she no longer had it and had not told her father about it. She told Carl Quintanilla Wednesday that she thinks police have a copy of the note. She called it “highly possible’’ that her appearance on TODAY last week may have been linked to this new death threat.
“I received thousands (of death threats) for the first two years, and then they suddenly stopped, and then they just started again,’’ she said.
Police do not know who made the alleged death threat or what their motivation was for leaving the note. Many of Suleman’s neighbors have long preferred that she not live there and have wished that she would just leave, according to E! News chief correspondent Ken Baker. On April 5 she told Matt Lauer that she has received “thousands and thousands” of death threats after the highly publicized birth of her octuplets through in-vitro fertilization in 2009 added to her existing family of six children, also conceived in vitro.
‘She’s very scared’
Suleman claims this is not the first such incident on her property; she says that about three years ago, the back window of the same van was smashed out and that another person tried to break into the side of the house.
“She's very scared,’’ Suleman’s manager, Gina Rodriguez, told NBC News. “She's scared for her kids. She's scared for herself."
As a result of the threats, Suleman said she has secluded herself in the family’s home most of the time and will often wear a wig or a disguise when she ventures into public.
“It’s kind of exacerbated my anxiety and my fear of being out in the public, so I don’t really go out often,’’ she said.
The alleged threat came only days after Suleman told Lauer that she is receiving $2,000 a month in food stamps from California after having previously vowed to never go on public assistance to support her children. Her home is also in foreclosure. Suleman recently posed topless in the British women’s magazine “Closer,’’ netting $8,000, which is less than the monthly cost of supporting her family.
She does not have a steady job, but vows to get off food stamps soon. Meanwhile, she is searching for opportunities to make money. “I’m very open-minded to doing any type of reality show, but I am planning on getting off completely, the food stamps, within a month,’’ she told Quintanilla.
Given Suleman’s struggles to support her 14 children, some have asked whether the state could take them away.
“There’s no worry whatsoever that that will ever happen,’’ Suleman said. “They were actually shocked it took me over three years to even call to ask for some help with food.’’
Suleman believes she is the best option to give her large brood a good life.
“My message is that they could never have a better home,’’ she said. “A better home physically, yes — we’re going to be moving — but they could never have a better mother. They are so, so fortunate. The bond they share and the connection they share with each other is extraordinary, and I think (others) are oblivious to how special that bond is.’’