Newsvine Code of Honor
Updated Monday, December 3, 2014: Amended to address Nation Admins, et al. Blog Post
Above All Else, Respect Others Link
Address issues and arguments and refrain from making personal attacks
. If you see something disrespectful or inappropriate, report it - rather than further inflaming the situation.
- Adding a personal attack to an otherwise valuable comment or article serves only to render that contribution invalid in its entirety. Such content is subject to moderation. Link
- Harassment and/or intimidation of others on Newsvine will not be tolerated, and patterns of such behavior may result in account cancelation. Link
- As a Nation Admin, you are responsible for building a respectful community of your own and to discourage personal attacks and harassment. Link
No Self-Promotion Link
Newsvine's primary purpose is to provide a place for people to share and discuss topics relating to the news. Self-promotion
, seeding links to your own site(s), and advertising are not allowed
- Posting full articles (using the "Write Article" feature) that also appear on your blog or web site is acceptable but seeding your own stuff is not. Link
- Do not seed links to any sites you're affiliated with. Link
- Posting links to drive traffic elsewhere for personal or financial gain is prohibited. Link
- Nations that feature or allow a plurality of self-promoting or advertising articles/seeds may be retired and the Nation’s Admins suspended or banned. Link
Appropriate Headlines Link
Headlines should be supported by the information presented in the article/seed, rather than used primarily as a means to draw attention. Articles and seeds must be published to appropriate Nations and categories. Tags must be relevant
to the article or seed.
- The ability to categorize content is a privilege that carries with it a responsibility. Publishing to irrelevant Nations and/or entering irrelevant tags is prohibited. Link
Plagiarism & Copyright Infringement Link
As a seeder, author, and/or Nation Admin, you are expected to foster healthy, open discussions by setting a good example. Be responsible for the content you submit
and exercise impartiality when deleting comments and reporting abuse.
- Plagiarism and copyright infringement will not be tolerated. If you did not write something, do not portray it as your own (use the "blockquote" tag and cite your source by linking to the original content). If you do not have the right to republish the content in question, do not post it to Newsvine. Link
- If a comment contains a personal attack or other gross Code of Honor or User Agreement violation, it may be deleted by staff or Nation Admins - regardless of the quality or nature of the rest of the comment. Users are welcome to re-post moderated comments without the offending portion(s). Link
- Nation Admins who repeatedly let stand violations of 4a and 4b may have their Nation(s) retired and may be suspended or banned. Link
Contrary to the Purpose of Newsvine Link
Acts that run contrary to the spirit and purpose of Newsvine, including attempts to circumvent the Code of Honor & User Agreement, are not allowed.
- A user's participation at Newsvine is judged as a whole. Recurring counterproductive behavior or negative contributions - even if not specifically addressed in the Code of Honor or the User Agreement - may still warrant removal of that person from the Newsvine Community. Link
- Nations that regularly violate the Code of Honor in content or discussions may be retired and the Nation’s Admins suspended or banned. Link
We would advise you to remember the main tenets of the Code of Honor while creating articles, seeding (link-sharing) articles from around the internet, or while commenting. We've bolded the main points to help you quickly understand the Code.
You can grab a link to a specific portion of the Code of Honor by
Right+Clicking on the "Link" text then copy the link and paste it wherever you need to reference that portion of the Code.
"Be careful that you don’t violate the Code of Honor Section 1a: Respecting…"
Additionally, clicking on the link for each section will also send your browser to that section and highlight it. In this way you can copy the URL address at the top of your browser and paste the address where needed. Once someone clicks your link, they'll be sent to the referenced portion of the Code automatically.